Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Milestones and Mockeries

I'm taking a little side trip for this post since the last few weeks have been a whirlwind with the start of school and getting back into a routine, more home updates, going out of town for a few days, and focusing on "other" writing projects.

It's gotten to the point of where the word CHANGE will be used quite often between now and next October. I'll be hitting a milestone birthday next year and instead of approaching it in fear, I will be ringing it in my way. Sure, I say that right now, but next year at this time I could be singing a different tune, but I hope not. I'm getting my act together over here with body, mind, spirit, among many other things. The first being my hair.

I was completely overdue for the usual cut and highlights I normally get - about four months overdue, I think. For the last couple of weeks when I looked at myself in the mirror, I felt like I was looking outdated and becoming to look like someone you might see on a makeover show. Hair part down the middle with super long all-the-same-length locks, and mix in some highlight roots of about 2 1/2 inches, and there I stood. Did I care? Of course I did! It's a matter of time and actually getting to the hair salon that had been holding me back.

I wanted a change. I scanned images nightly hoping to come up with something that would look good with my face shape, why not being too drastic that no one would recognize me. I found two styles that I really liked. Upon arrival, my hair dresser was agreeable, but the final result was not what I had picked. mostly because I think there was curling involved. And, I was glad....I don't have a great shot of myself yet with the cut, but I can tell you that it does resemble one of the OC Housewives and looks pretty similar to this (but with highlights and not all over blonde):


Is this 70's or 80's? Husband says that I look like someone from the 80's, but updated. Someone at work asked if I got a perm. I have been curling much like you see in the pic, so I most definitely look different. However, there hasn't been one person at my workplace who hasn't noticed, and I quite like the reaction I have received. It has helped boost my spirits in these crazy times.

Next up on the change list: I think I need this change to sink in first!

No comments:

Post a Comment